More prefered applications

jp jp.guillemin at free.fr
Mon Jun 19 21:34:31 CEST 2006

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 21:23:49 +0200, jp wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm beginning to convert Zenwalk XFCE menus and panel launchers to
>> make use of "exo-open --launch" instead of static application setting
>>
>> It would be interesting to have more preferred applications, ie :
>> file browser , instant messaging , word processor , music player,
>> video player...
>>
>> Would it be possible in the near future ?
>>

> Use Thunar as prefered file browser and chose you favorite apps for
> file types like .avi, .sxw etc. After that, open these files via
> exo-open and you'll see Thunar starting your selected application
> directly, AFAIK.
>
> Regards,
> Jannis

Right, but I don't want to specify any URL or file,  just use the
"--launch" option, it's intended for menus.

exo-open tells me :

Usage: exo-open [URLs...]
       exo-open --launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]

  -h, --help                          Print this help message and exit
  -v, --version                       Print version information and exit

  --launch TYPE [PARAMETERs...]       Launch the preferred application of
                                      TYPE with the optional PARAMETERs,
where
                                      TYPE is one of the following values.

The following TYPEs are supported for the --launch command:

  WebBrowser       - The preferred Web Browser.
  MailReader       - The preferred Mail Reader.
  TerminalEmulator - The preferred Terminal Emulator.

If you don't specify the --launch option, exo-open will open all specified
URLs with their preferred URL handlers. Else, if you specify the --launch
option, you can select which preferred application you want to run, and
pass additional parameters to the application (i.e. for TerminalEmulator
you can pass the command line that should be run in the terminal).