Future of various goodies

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Jun 14 20:07:23 CEST 2006

Hey everybody,

With the new framework for the goodies in place, it is time to think
about the future of various goodies that are somewhat unmaintained right
now. For example, there's still a pending patch from William Bonnet for
the sysload plugin. I'd apply the patch, but I somewhat feel that this
is not going to work for a long time.

IMHO, we either need a "goodies maintainer" that takes care of applying
patches to "not so well maintained" packages and always tries to find
new maintainers for these packages (or, if no explicit maintainer is
available, do regular releases with new translations, updates to the new
panel API, etc.), or we'd need to "force" people to maintain whatever
they submitted until they find a new maintainer for their packages
themselves.

We could also try to reduce the maintaince overhead by putting several
plugins into a single package (for example all system/network related
plugins into a single package, all desktop related utilites in another,
etc.).

Benedikt