New Xfce website

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 12:52:20 CEST 2006

Sorry for the late reply, I've been pretty busy lately.

2006/6/4, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:
> Stephan Arts schreef:
> > On 6/4/06, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hello on this morning,
> >>
> >> I have done the features page, based on www.xfce.org's one.  I removed
> >> deprecated stuff and added terminal, xarchiver and xfburn.  Just remove
> >> what you don't want to show yet.  I have taken screenshots, always with
> >> the default theme and GIMPed around :)
> >>
> >> You can have a live preview here:
> >> https://ms4tr3.homeunix.net/temp/xfce/pseudo.php?p=features.html
> >>
> >> Cheers ;)
> >> Mike.
> >
> > Nice :)
> >
> > I am placing it in svn. -- (could take a little while before i commit
> > though, don't be alarmed)
> >

> A couple of points after a quick read:
>
> - What's the relation with the 'Projects' page? It looks like there's a
> lot of duplication. About>Features should be more of a summary of the
> desktop environment, not of every module separately, isn't it?

Yep, true. It should be more a list. The about page should be a short
intro to xfce, the features page (duno if the name is ok) will extend
this information.

The project pages will contain screenshots, developer info, hidden
stuff, ..., and project specific information for each project.

> - I like the extra division into categories on the project page
> (Desktop, Applications, etc.).

Could be, but for now it's good enough.

> - Libraries are not important features, skip those. The same for xfce-utils.

Maybe they aren't that important, but it's good to know that each lib
does and the project page is IMHO a good place to drop this
information.

> - Systray is part of the panel, trigger launcher is part of the goodies.
> Besides, plugins should not be mentioned separately here, anyway.
>
> - Use capitals in headings, e.g. 'Window Manager' instead of 'Window
> manager'

I did that everywhere, as far as i know...