C++ patch or .desktop file for desktop icons

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Mon Jul 31 07:42:14 CEST 2006

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:39:36 +0530, Gregoire Gentil <gregoire at gentil.com>
wrote:

>> And I also doubt it makes sense to put much discussion and features
> into a
>> temporary solution, which the desktop launcher icons are
>> supposed to be.
> I'm not sure to understand your point. Can you clarify? Do you mean that
> the suggested .desktop file method is supposed to be a temporary
> solution - not clear from the previous discussion - or do you mean that
> the xfdesktop icon view will be replaced and handled by Thunar?

He probably means the second. However, going by our current rate of
progress, that will be anything between 1.5 and 2 years from now -- so
temporary is a very relative term.

You know, we might benefit from a GNOME style release timetable. At any
given time about two thirds of svn head is rock solid stability-wise, so I
suspect getting a release out every 6 months may not as hard as we think
it is.

my 2c,

-- b