XDG menu implementation

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Thu Jul 27 12:13:33 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 20:01:46 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> > I. The "egg" thing
> >
> >   We talked about a testing library similar to GNOMEs libegg about
> > ten days ago. We agreed that something like this might be useful
> > but two questions remain: How do we name it (libeasterbunny would
> > be funny, I'd prefer something else, though)
>
> Actually, I think libeasterbunny is pretty funny.  I don't much care
> what it's called, as long as it's not too long, is pretty easy to
> type, and is amusing or whimsical in some way.  Gnome seems to
> already have covered the breakfast foods (libegg, toast-something, and
> BaconVideoWidget come to mind), so let's go for another theme.  Maybe
> we want to continue the coffee theme Auke started with our hosting
> server hostnames (espresso and mocha)?  libfrap?  liblatte?
> libcappuccino? libmachiato?  Just a thought.

Ok, I like libfrap as it's short and - as Benny already pointed out -
FrapMenu and FrapMenuItem sound quite nice.

> >   While I'm at it, how do we want to name the XDG menu
> > implementation? Should it be a more fresh name like "exo" or is
> > "libxfce4menu" ok?
>
> It's your project.  You write the code; you get to decide on the name.
> (For the record, though, I think libxfce4menu is fine, unless you'd
> like to present it to the OSS desktop community at large in the hopes
> that non-Xfce people will use it, in which case they might feel funny
> using something with 'xfce' in it.  It's purely a silly
> marketing/politics concern, so feel free to not care.)

The only parts of the code which make use of Xfce functions (namely
libxfce4util) currently are resource lookup functions. I'll use them
for now, but we can still decide to rip them off later - shouldn't take
much time at all.

> > II. The menu API
> [...]
> >    XfceMenu *xfce_menu_get_root (void);
>
> How do you get a menu other than the 'default' menu?

I've not written a function for this, yet. Currently this would be:

  g_object_new (XFCE_TYPE_MENU, "filename", filename_string, NULL);

But as you've suggested below, I'm planning something like

  XfceMenu *xfce_menu_new_with_filename (const gchar *filename);

and, indeed, a method for creating an empty menu might be useful as
well.

> the most commonly used one.  But I'm just being bored and nitpicky.
> Feel free to do whatever you think is best.

No, no, you're absolutely right. I completely agree with your
suggestions.

> *nod*, I think you're taking this in the right direction,
> definitely.  I really can't wait until it's finished ^_^.

That's nice to hear.

Regards,
Jannis