mcs file manager plugin

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Fri Jul 14 13:21:58 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>> Hm, what does "not installed properly" mean? As far as I see, they are
>>> installed in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/:
>>>
>>> $ ls -la /usr/share/dbus-1/services/
>>> total 48
>>> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 Jul 13 12:04 .
>>> drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 4096 Jul 13 12:05 ..
>>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root   55 Jan 17 22:23 dhcdbd.service
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   59 Mar 20 22:43 named.service
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   72 Jul 13 12:05 org.xfce.FileManager.service
>>> -rw-r--r--  1 root root   67 Jul 13 12:05 org.xfce.Thunar.service
>>>
>>> coming from
>>>
>>> $ rpm -ql Thunar | grep "\.service"
>>> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.FileManager.service
>>> /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.Thunar.service
>>>
>>> What am I missing here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,  Nick.
>>>

>> Just restarted the messagebus and ran xfce-mcs-manager from console,
>> getting this message when opening the fm_plugin:
>>
>> "Error: Failed to execute program /usr/bin/Thunar --daemon: No such file
>> or directory"
>>
>> But Thunar is definitely installed at that location:
>>
>> $ which Thunar
>> /usr/bin/Thunar
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>

> Try to remove the --daemon cmdline parameter, maybe your D-BUS version
> is too old to handle autoactivation properly.

Yes, that was it. I just realized that the dbus version I'm running
(0.34) is newer than the last "official" package available for FC4,
which is 0.33. Just to make sure there was nothing wrong with the
package I had installed, I downgraded to the latest FC4 version. But the
problem remains.

That means that others working on this not-too-exotic distribution will
probably run into the same problem. Could there be a work-around? I
tried quoting the Exec command in the .service file, but to no avail.

What version of dbus is known to work?

Thanks again,   Nick.