adding support for hibernation to xfce4-sessions's exit dialog

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jul 13 18:18:52 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>>IMHO, we should cooperate here. It'd be definitely nice for all Xfce
>>users if xfce4-session and the battery plugin (and probably other
>>relevant parts), would support proper power management, combined with a
>>settings dialog (yes, I'm convinced).
>
> By cooperate you mean pursuing g-p-m and see if we can use it or go on
> with what this thread was initially about?
> I'd go with g-p-m as it has a lot of work put into it and handles more
> than just battery status and suspend. (there's interaction with the
> screensaver -although gnome-screensaver only I think, configurable
> actions on various laptop buttons and lid press and other policies I
> forget right now)

Yes, but more concrete: coorperate := Xfce + Xubuntu :-)

>>You don't any kind of special API here. Just use D-BUS to register your
>>application as service, then on startup, try to invoke the method on an
>>already running service, and if no service is available, continue to launch.
>
> True, but as above, the convenience of something like a simple library
> call and writing of a callback without the need to worry at all about
> the dbus API or indeed that behind the scenes dbus is doing this is
> tempting. That's the reason they want to have a standard api for this
> somewhere, as every app tried doing it their own way.
>
> Other APIs are simple enough but they have been put in exo/libxfceXXX
> etc for similar reasons no?

Well, the "API" depends on the service interface, which is different for
various applications (just compare Thunar and Terminal). You could add
something like KUniqueApplication, but that doesn't make things easier
in most cases, IMHO.

> Jani

Benedikt