Xfce and Devilspie doesn't work together anymore

Bruno Jesus 00cpxxx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 15:59:41 CEST 2006

> On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 21:31:45 -0300, Bruno Jesus wrote:
>
> > Well, i'm sorry for the useless post, this is my second post to a
> > mailing list. By the way, what is AFAIK?
>
> Ah, ok, I didn't know you're new to the mailinglist or bug reporting
> concept in general. If there's one thing that is important for bug
> reports: Always provide useful logs and other relevant information, so
> others can try to reproduce your problems.
>
> For explanations of the most important (if not all) abbreviations (like
> AFAIK, which means "as far as I know"), see
>
>   http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Abk%C3%BCrzungen_(Netzjargon)
>
> for example. Most of them are useless, but some (like AFAIK, AFAICS,
> IMHO) are used frequently by most of us lazy guys.
>
> > Do this :
> > Eterm --trans --borderless --scrollbar=false --buttonbar=false
> > --geometry=80x15+535-26 --shade=60% -q --title=Eterm -e "top" &
> >
> > Now use this for devilspie :
> > (if
> >     (matches (application_name) "Eterm")
> >     (begin
> >         (below)
> >         (pin)
> >         (skip_pager)
> >         (skip_tasklist)
> >     )
> > )
> >
> > You'll see that eterm doesn't stays under other windows as it used to
> > be in older xfce versions.
> >
> > If you open Eterm WITH titlebar, devilspie works.
>
> I tested it with exactly the same setup as you have - it works here.
> Now it would be interesting which version of devilspie you have on your
> system. And maybe Olivier, who wrote/maintains Xfwm4, has ideas.

Can you see this message when opening Eterm?
Eterm:  Warning:  Window Manager does not support MWM hints.
Bypassing window manager control for borderless window.

I'm a Debian user, my computer is an AMD K6 300Mhz 3DNow, I used to
build things from source in my Celeron 500Mhz but in this "new"
computer I compiled gcc 3.3 and it took 9 hours to complete (the
kernel takes from 4 to 5 hours to complete), that's why I use Debian
now and love apt-get.

Maybe the svn version has already corrected this problem.

Xfce 4.3.9.1 (includes xfwm)
Eterm 0.9.3
devilspie 0.17.1

> > Sorry again for the useless post.
>
> Now that you posted additional information, it's uselessness is kinda
> compensated. Don't mind. BTW, there's another important thing about
> mailinglists: Always quote below paragraphs you're commenting on (just
> as I did in this mail).
>
> Regards,
> Jannis

Bruno Gonçalves de Jesus