xfce library versions

Jani Monoses jani.monoses at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:50:31 CET 2006

>  From libttol documentation:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual.html#Updating-version-info
>
> /Never try to set the interface numbers so that they correspond to the
> release number of your package./

thanks for the link. I suggested following xfce release numbers (which I
don't anymore) because libgui is at 4.2.0 which I suspected was bumped
to correspond to the latest stable (even if 3.6.0 is in 4.2, confusing)
But are the other suggestions written there taken into account?

    1. Start with version information of 0:0:0 for each libtool library.
    2. Update the version information only immediately before a public
release of your software. More frequent updates are unnecessary, and
only guarantee that the current interface number gets larger faster.
    3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last
update, then increment revision (c:r:a becomes c:r+1:a).
    4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the
last update, increment current, and set revision to 0.
    5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release,
then increment age.
    6. If any interfaces have been removed since the last public
release, then set age to 0.

anyway, besides fixing mcs to be newer than in 4.2 do the versions stay
as they are now?

Jani