4.4 default look

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:27:41 CET 2006

On 1/27/06, Oblio Oblio <apa.chioara at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You're being confused here, the xfwm4 colors are from the gtk theme,
> > there is absolutely no need to change the xfwm4 theme to change its colors.
>
> No, I'm not being confused :)
> The titlebar uses PNG I believe, and those are probably black, which I
> don't believe has anything to do with that GTK theme. That's what I
> meant, titlebars.

If you are refering to the window decorations set by the Window
Manager theme, then yes you are being confused, as the color is taken
from the Gtk+ theme. The default WM theme in Xfce simply supplies a
gradient in an XPM. The color used in that gradient is pulled from the
Gtk+ theme. Change the colors in your theme, note the titlebar
changes.

> > As for it being "Vista-ish", I don't know what Vista looks like, but the
> > use of dark colors rather reminds me of Mac somehow.
> >
> > Not everyone is a fan of M$ here, sorry. If we follow that logic, we
> > should not use light or dark colors because it would be too much like
> > OS-X, we should not use dark blue because it's like Win2000, we should
> > not use light blue or light green because it looks like XP, we should
> > not use yellow because it looks like Be, etc. Better quit the GUI
> > business then, since most of colors have already been taken yet...
>
> No, I'm not anti-MS. It's just that I believe Xfce should have its own
> image. And when I say that, I say compared to major players on the
> market, IMHO BeOS is dead (and has been for quite a while - I know
> about Zeta, but Zeta is a stillborn project mostly), so using yellow
> is not a problem.
>
> I believe it's about the general look. The small lower panel - upper
> taskbar is Xfce.  Everyone can tell some setups from miles ago: XP,
> MacOSX, KDE, Gnome. Xfce should do the same. Colours do have an
> influence too on this aspect.
>
> And about colour, I just don't believe that black does well with
> orange. If someone kindly points me to the Xfwm theme, I'll try to
> modify the PNGs colour to something more apropriate.
>
> Ah, well, after all it's just an opinion, hope I didn't offend anybody :)
> Anyway, don't mind me, it's not me who will make the final decision.
>
> > Cheers,
> > Olivier.
>
> Regards,
> Oblio

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."