startxfce4 from /opt/xfce/bin

Nick C chakynet at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 20:15:38 CET 2006

Hello!

I have just compiled latest SVN version of XFce4 with --prefix=/opt/xfce.
Everything was compiled without any errors ;-), but now I do not know how
to start svn version of Xfce4.

It says, that I need to put xfce44.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions/. And I
did that. The file xfce44.desktop contains this information:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xfce 4.4 Session
Comment=Run Xfce 4.4 as your desktop environment
Exec=/opt/xfce/bin/startxfce4
Icon=/opt/xfce/share/pixmaps/xfce4_xicon1.png
Type=Application

and GDM recognize that file, so I have it in GDM login under Session menu.
But everytime I try to start svn version of Xfce from /opt/xfce, it loads
Xfce 4.2.3.x (latest stable) from /usr, that I have installed using
installer from xfce.org.

So, I am asking is it possible to have 2 versions of Xfce, one stable and
one in development (this one is in /opt/xfce so it is completely isolated
from stable release from /usr) and now how to start svn version?

--
ChaKy @ idolNET IRC Network :: PGP:0x487B18D5 :: ICQ:96731865
http://alf.unidu.hr/~ncake/gallery/ :: Ubuntu Linux Community