xfce-exec functions spawns zombies

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Jan 21 10:26:15 CET 2006

Jean-François Wauthy schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't updated libxfcegui4 for a while and i did it this morning and
> since then every program launched by xfce4-session or xfdesktop
> terminated as zombies.

Ok, I believe danny is trying to do something clever with the pid to
cancel startup notification when the process exits. This apparently
doesn't work :(

While looking at the code I found nothing obviously wrong, but I did
find this in the glib API docs:

   "Note further that using g_child_watch_source_new() is not compatible
    with calling waitpid(-1) in the application. Calling waitpid() for
    individual pids will still work fine."

I think this means it can't be used in the library. For instance, the
panel uses waitpid(-1) to handle external plugins.

	Jasper