no more desktop menu pop-up?

Mr Machine machinehasnoagenda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 00:47:31 CET 2006

sofar wrote:

> I'm adding this FAQ to the FAQ - if the right-click menu is missing or suddenly the desktop wallpaper disappears - chances are that your xfdesktop program died. Here's the (updated) FAQ entry for this:
>
> + My desktop or desktop menu has disappeared!?
>
> It appears that xfdesktop is no longer in control of the desktop. Often
> xfdesktop has died, or some other program took over the desktop. Make
> sure that xfdesktop is still running first. Nautilus takes over the
> desktop by default too. Please start nautilus with the --no-desktop
> flag, or use gconfig-editor and unset the flag that tells nautilus to
> handle the desktop. Start xfdesktop again and you should be OK again.

very strange. xfdesktop *wasn't* running - and i couldn't get it to run
unless xffm-deskview was killed :(

something must have changed recently, because as far as i know they
could co-exist before, but now seem to be mutually exclusive? problem is
that xfdesktop doesn't give icons on the desktop, but xffm-deskview
(which does put icons on desktop) no longer shows the menu pop-up on
right-click - even though i've set it to do so in the file manager
settings.

i think it's starting to get confusing the "differences" between
xffm-deskview and xfdesktop.

shayne