How to get to Xfce 4.4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Mon Jan 9 21:28:36 CET 2006

sofar schreef:

> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:48:39 +0100, Nick Schermer
> <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> BTW. the current Xfce website is written in php, but maybe its
>> better to create the content in (x)html and only the news and stuff
>> in php?
>
> that would force everyone writing pages to copy + edit the full
> source - lots more chance in errors and your pages become unreadable.
>

> I would suggest keeping the php and using a smarter system to
> "insert" subpages and maybe do some simple menu and title
> manipulation. To see how ridiculously simple this is check out:
> http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/xfce/ (notice that the page uses div's
> only and inserts a variable title in the top div, same can be done
> for the menu).
>
> this would allow people to concentrate on *content* and leaving style
> to the designer - adding a new page would be much simpler too - just
> write the content and wrap in a single div. You'd attract much more
> people and possibly can implement a simple "news" browser (flat-file
> based).
>
> just a thought ;^)

Yeah, it's what I tried to do in my sample 'port' of the old website.
Francois' system was actually pretty good, separating common unchanging
content from editable content from translatable content. I tried to
improve that a little by using more php arrays.

It's still a bit too complex for my liking. You can download the sources
from here, if you'd like to have a look:
http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/files/new.xfce.org.tar.gz