How to get to Xfce 4.4

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Mon Jan 9 13:41:39 CET 2006

Nick Schermer schrieb:
> 2006/1/8, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:
>

>>Website
>>=======
>>
>>Xfce has grown from being a desktop project with a single website to
>>being a platform with many sister projects: goodies, i18n, installers,
>>thunar, xfmedia, mousepad, xffm, ... It would be very nice to have some
>>consistency between all the related web sites.
>>
>>The Xfce website could perhaps do with a little freshening up to better
>>help our users find what they need.
>>
>>I have been playing a little with php and css to see if it would be
>>possible to recreate the Xfce site layout with only css and in a
>>slightly more maintainable way. Check the result at
>>http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/new.xfce.org/ . It is missing most of the
>>content, only 'Home' and 'About' have some ;-) I have tried to reduce to
>>number of toplevel links to make things a little easier to find.
>>
>>As an example of what I believe is a well layed-out website take a look
>>a www.freebsd.org, especially other pages than the front page: a small
>>number of toplevel sections with a side bar  menu for subsections.
>>
>>It would be nice to have a small team to take care of the maintainance
>>of the site, hopefully together with Francois. Someone probably needs to
>>have a look at what kind of information we have to show and how this can
>>best be presented.
>
> (...)
>
> The idea of a 100% css website is fine with me, i've got no problems helping
> build a new website and/or maintaining it.
>
> (...)
>
> I'll post a FreeBSD like website (to show how i think the layout/content
> should look like) tomorrow.
> Maybe more people can do this? I we have a good design a couple of people
> can start working
> on the new 4.4 website (including me).

Why not just use the one we developed for Thunar? Please don't
concentrate on the website too much. I know there are things (like
merging the sites of the subprojects) which are important, but that
should be put last. The product Xfce itself is more important to be
finished and optimized than the website, IMHO.

Concerning InstallIt (which Jasper forgot to mention): We will have to
wait until 4.6 for it to be done, I think. 3-month holidays begin in
midth of February and I'm planning to introduce binary package
installation, then. Though that will be more or less easy, I don't think
InstallIt will be finished before Xfce 4.4.

Regards,
Jannis