How to get to Xfce 4.4

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:07:32 CET 2006

2006/1/8, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:

> Website
> =======
>
> Xfce has grown from being a desktop project with a single website to
> being a platform with many sister projects: goodies, i18n, installers,
> thunar, xfmedia, mousepad, xffm, ... It would be very nice to have some
> consistency between all the related web sites.
>
> The Xfce website could perhaps do with a little freshening up to better
> help our users find what they need.
>
> I have been playing a little with php and css to see if it would be
> possible to recreate the Xfce site layout with only css and in a
> slightly more maintainable way. Check the result at
> http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/new.xfce.org/ . It is missing most of the
> content, only 'Home' and 'About' have some ;-) I have tried to reduce to
> number of toplevel links to make things a little easier to find.
>
> As an example of what I believe is a well layed-out website take a look
> a www.freebsd.org, especially other pages than the front page: a small
> number of toplevel sections with a side bar  menu for subsections.
>
> It would be nice to have a small team to take care of the maintainance
> of the site, hopefully together with Francois. Someone probably needs to
> have a look at what kind of information we have to show and how this can
> best be presented.

The idea of a 100% css website is fine with me, i've got no problems helping
build a new website and/or maintaining it.

Other Xfce Projects
> ===================
>
> I'd like to see Xfce develop further towards a small desktop project
> with a number of independent subprojects that provide additional
> functionality. It should be easy to find links to these projects on
> xfce.org.
>
> www.xfce.org
> - i18n.xfce.org
> - goodies.xfce.org
> - xffm.xfce.org
> - thunar.xfce.org
> - orage.xfce.org    | maybe some smaller applications could better
> - mousepad.xfce.org | be part of goodies.xfce.org or even
> - xfburn.xfce.org   | applications.xfce.org
> - xfmedia.xfce.org
> - forum.xfce.org
> - wiki.xfce.org
> - xfce-look.org
> - bugzilla.xfce.org

Personally i  think it's better to prop all projects in folders and use 1
design for the
entire Xfce project/subproject. I know many people won't agree with me, but
it's
a lot easier to maintain 1 design. (except for the bug tracker, forum and
wiki).

Ok, now, all of this won't happen without people actually taking time to
> work on it. And this has always been our problem :(

Ghehe, time is always against us.....

Me
> ==
>
> Now for me personally things have changed a bit because of the new job.
> I will not have as much time for Xfce and I will need to limit myself to
> the panel and maybe some related library work.

New job, new house... you really god some busy times :-).

I need someone to manage and coordinate the plugins on the xfce goodies
> project as well as handle the possible move to the xfce server and
> update of the website. I'd like to propose Nicolas Masse for this job,
> if he agrees, and maybe some other active goodies developers to help
> out, like Fabian Nowak and Nick Schermer (or anyone who volunteers).

Well why don't we integrate this in the main website? an other good
alternative would
be a wiki page for each plugin, with a manual etc.

Maybe it would be nice if all developers would reply to this mail with a
> indication of what they plan to do before 4.4.

I'll post a FreeBSD like website (to show how i think the layout/content
should look like) tomorrow.
Maybe more people can do this? I we have a good design a couple of people
can start working
on the new 4.4 website (including me).

Greets Nick Schermer