How to get to Xfce 4.4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Jan 8 12:23:47 CET 2006

Hi all,

So, here we are, it's 2006 and we need to start getting serious about
releasing Xfce 4.4 if we want to do the release in February.

Warning: this is a very long email!

Let me try to list a few things that need to be done or that I would
like to see. A few different areas can be distinguished: code,
translations, documentation, website and xfce subprojects.

Code
====

Libraries

* They work, but it would not be a bad idea if someone were to go over
them and see if we can clean things up a bit, now that we can depend on
gtk 2.6.

* One thing that might be a good candidate to put in the libraries is
the menu spec handling. Currently xfdesktop uses different code from
xfce4-appfinder. Probably after 4.4, unless someone volunteers to do the
work.

* Similarly, the icon theme handling should be changed to use
GtkIconTheme instead of our own implementation. This is not trivial and
is probably something for after 4.4.

Desktop

For me this includes xfce4-session, xfce-mcs-manager/plugin, xfce-utils,
xfwm4, xfdesktop, xfce4-panel, xfprint, xfce4-mixer, xfce4-appfinder and
I think xfce4-mailwatch-plugin (Brian, what is your opinion?).

* It would be great if the session manager could have a special dialog
for starting/stopping Xfce components, at least xfwm4, xfdesktop and
xfce4-panel. Again, this require someone to do the work. I'm not sure
how hard it would be.

* The display mcs plugin needs a 'Default' option that does nothing to
solve problems with remote displays and FreeNX. This should be fairly
easy and I might do this myself.

* Some people have complained about the speed of xfrun and suggested the
use of gmrun (I think). We should check if we can't simply use gmrun
code. Needs someone to do the work; should be fairly easy.

* Xfwm4 is just awesome, no need for changes ;-) Anyway, Olivier is a
better judge of what needs to be done still.

* Brian said xfdesktop was slow to startup because of the menu
generation. Maybe that can still be improved before 4.4? Other than
that, it seems to work fine.

* The panel is now feature-complete, I believe. What it needs now is
testing in as many situations as possible, especially multi-screen
setups. There are a number of problems in that area i am aware of and
will try to fix as soon as possible.

* Another thing to look at is which plugins should be included with the
panel. Someone suggested to add the show-desktop plugin and I think
maybe the windowlist plugin. Then we will have all window management
plugins as part of the panel.

* The panel will need a new default configuration before 4.4, which
could require some translations as well. This is one of the last things
to decide though.

* The trigger launcher and xfce4-eyes-plugin should be moved to the
goodies project, IMO.

* I don't now if xfprint and xfce4-appfinder need any work. Danny is
busy porting xfce4-mixer to the new panel framework. The mailwatch
plugin seems to work very well.

Applications

* There are a number of application that should release along with the
desktop. Definitely that includes Orage, xffm and hopefully thunar.

* Other possibilities are xfmedia, mousepad and xfburn, but they don't
necessarily have to be released at the same time as the desktop.

All

* I think what we need most is people checking out SVN and report
problems. It needs to work in as many situations as possible.

Translations
============

It is always difficult to say when is the best time to start translating
new code. We are at the start of a testing period (I hope ;-) and this
may show problem in the interface that require string changes.

On the other hand, the modules should be more or less feature complete
now and there are a lot of strings to translate, so it might be a good
idea to start translating now.

At least developers should probably start notifying xfce-i18n of string
changes.

Documentation
=============

Oh dear. Traditionally I have been very involved with the documentation,
together with Francois. However, Francois is extremely busy with real
life and I just started a new job, so I don't know how much time I will
have.

The panel needs completely new documentation and also the window manager
has changed quite a bit because shortcut handling is now in a separate
mcs plugin.

If no-one volunteers to help, I will do the panel documentation myself,
but I don't think I will have the time and energy to do other
documentation.

Ideas about how to make it easier for people to help out with
documentation (using a wiki, maybe?) are very welcome.

Website
=======

Xfce has grown from being a desktop project with a single website to
being a platform with many sister projects: goodies, i18n, installers,
thunar, xfmedia, mousepad, xffm, ... It would be very nice to have some
consistency between all the related web sites.

The Xfce website could perhaps do with a little freshening up to better
help our users find what they need.

I have been playing a little with php and css to see if it would be
possible to recreate the Xfce site layout with only css and in a
slightly more maintainable way. Check the result at
http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/new.xfce.org/ . It is missing most of the
content, only 'Home' and 'About' have some ;-) I have tried to reduce to
number of toplevel links to make things a little easier to find.

As an example of what I believe is a well layed-out website take a look
a www.freebsd.org, especially other pages than the front page: a small
number of toplevel sections with a side bar  menu for subsections.

It would be nice to have a small team to take care of the maintainance
of the site, hopefully together with Francois. Someone probably needs to
have a look at what kind of information we have to show and how this can
best be presented.

Other Xfce Projects
===================

I'd like to see Xfce develop further towards a small desktop project
with a number of independent subprojects that provide additional
functionality. It should be easy to find links to these projects on
xfce.org.

www.xfce.org
- i18n.xfce.org
- goodies.xfce.org
- xffm.xfce.org
- thunar.xfce.org
- orage.xfce.org    | maybe some smaller applications could better
- mousepad.xfce.org | be part of goodies.xfce.org or even
- xfburn.xfce.org   | applications.xfce.org
- xfmedia.xfce.org
- forum.xfce.org
- wiki.xfce.org
- xfce-look.org
- bugzilla.xfce.org

Ok, now, all of this won't happen without people actually taking time to
work on it. And this has always been our problem :(

Me
==

Now for me personally things have changed a bit because of the new job.
I will not have as much time for Xfce and I will need to limit myself to
the panel and maybe some related library work.

I need someone to manage and coordinate the plugins on the xfce goodies
project as well as handle the possible move to the xfce server and
update of the website. I'd like to propose Nicolas Masse for this job,
if he agrees, and maybe some other active goodies developers to help
out, like Fabian Nowak and Nick Schermer (or anyone who volunteers).

Maybe it would be nice if all developers would reply to this mail with a
indication of what they plan to do before 4.4.

Phew! I need a coffee now. Or two.

cheers,
	Jasper

PS
When you reply it might be a good idea to only quote the parts that are
relevant ;-)

PPS
Sorry for the spam, I hope it will be good for something.