[Xfce4-commits] r19337 - xffm/trunk/xffm/xffm-root

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Sat Jan 7 14:58:10 CET 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Daichi Kawahata wrote:

> Hi Edscott,
>
> Please check this commit, some files are removed as I thought
> they're no longer needed (translations are now moved to the
> Xffm's PO file), if you think the another revert them.

OK, let me see...

Looks OK. Xffm-root is so tiny that it is not worth the effort to be a
separate package. If we ever want to make
into a separate package again we can just add the scripts again :-)

> By the way, I found something interests in your recent (not
> exact sure) implements, did you add IPC-like function in the
> Xffm? Now status line is changed according to the state of
> launched applications.

Yes, that is so. You should get a button for each spawned process in the
status line. This button should allow you to see information regarding the
process and allow you to kill it without much ado. The button should
dissappear when the process finishes. Some processes will protect
themselves from being killed by forking (like gvim) and libxffm will not
be hacking around this protection.

The diagnostics window which appears when running from deskview will
probably have an extra button to destroy (dismiss button only hides until
process termination or output from spawned process).

> Then question, please look at the following string:
>
>  #: ../libs/run.i:368 ../libs/run.i:397
>  #, c-format
>  msgid "Execution thread complete: %s"
>
> Could "thread" be changed "process"? since my machine has
> single CPU and therefore process is never threaded.

It makes no difference how many CPUs are available since they are all
capable of multiprocessing. Processes refer "processes" which have their
own copy of the entire executable in memory (in theory, cause a good OS
will not duplicate executables in memory). Threads refer
to processes which do not have the entire executable in memory but just a
part of it. Anyways, this difference seems ---upon looking back--- too pedantic.

I'll change it to "Finished: %s finished" and put the command line in %s.

regards,