Terminal and gnome-pty-helper

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Feb 27 01:51:07 CET 2006

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 08:02:11PM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> >>Hm, I have exactly one gnome-pty-helper process running. But honestly I
> >>don't know how this is supposed to work. It's an implementation detail
> >>of VTE. Maybe ask one of the VTE gurus (if any), or file a bugreport
> >>against VTE.
> > Ok, thank you. Hmh, and, by the way, is the fact that the binary is
> > called xfce4-terminal (debian package) could influence this ?
> The binary name should have nothing to do with it. It just confuses
> users. ;-)

> BTW: It'd be a good idea to atleast install a symlink
> Terminal->xfce4-terminal, else scripts/.desktop files/howtos/etc will
> always need special handling for Debian.

We had this discusion on IRC way back when.  "Terminal" as a name for
your particular term seems somewhat overly generic and I remember trying
to persuade you not to use it.

Debian already ships a Terminal executable for some other random package
(I think it might be GNUstep) so we can't provide a symlink without
conflicting which isn't a good solution either.

Is there anyway we can convince you to use a less generic name?  One
that for instance people could google for directly?  One that wouldn't
force us to make these crap choices on your behalf and then confuse your
users?

Simon.

--
[ "Be wewy wewy careful. There be dragons here." -- Linus Torvalds     ]