xfwm4 compositor really slow

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Thu Feb 16 22:35:22 CET 2006

jaanus wrote:
[...]
> Some other thing I noticed: adding --compositor=off to
> ~./config/xfce4/xinitrc didn't somewhy seem to work (confirmed, that it
> does use that config). Had same problem with disabling panel
> transparency .. just didn't work?!

If you run the session manager (which is the default), then the window
manager is started by the session manager and the options passed from
within your xinitrc are not used at all.

> Final question: can/does xfwm's compositor act like xcompmgr -a? It
> seems to fit me - less redrawing and nice fast.

Yes, use "--compositor=auto".

Run a terminal, and type:

killall xfwm4 && xfwm4 --compositor=auto &

then save your session on logout and the options will be restored
automatically at next login.

Cheers,
Olivier.