Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets(demo included)

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 14:16:32 CET 2006

2006/12/25, samuel verstraete <samuel.verstraete at gmail.com>:
> just as a note of support... i still like the original idea of 3 in
> 1... i sure would need to get used to it but that doesn't prevent me
> from liking it... there is no paradigm that should prevent us from
> trying something that doesn't fit with the "bit" boys
> (kde,gnome,windows). I would even say we have the obligation to be
> different, to try different things and to take the desktop away from
> the so called standards...
> The only problems i see with the original idea is that *maybe* the
> systray spec is not up to the task to achieve such a kind of behaviour
> (like Nick said... splitting it in different "zones" might just not
> work) and the issue of running multiplt panels.
> The so called issue of lacking space on the taskbar is a non-issue IMO
> as we have that one currently as well... If you open too much
> applications the taskbar gets cluttered and pretty much unusable, so
> there is basically no difference in that aspect
>
> But it should be no problem at all create a plugin for the panel that
> behaves like that IMHO. If you don't like it... just don't use it...
> there would still be the possibility to create the normal launchers
> and stuff like that... There is no reason to make it the default
> behaviour for Xfce... just a plugin and why would anyone be against
> more plugins?

Of course, everyone who doesn't like it will have the option of not
using it. But I think this discussion is a great way to make its first
try better. I love the idea of the plugin, but I'm still concerned on
how users will react to having the launchers scattered between
tasklist buttons. Perhaps it will be easy, but it just seems like
something some users will be totally confused by.

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.