Idea: Merging Task List + System Tray + Program Launcher applets (demo included)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sat Dec 23 12:17:30 CET 2006

robin wrote:
> Greetings,
Hey Robin,

It is usually better to post to a mailing list than to individual
developers, there's much more chance of getting a reply and/or starting
a discussion that way.

> I've always seen XFCE as having the cleanest-looking and fastest
> Desktop Environment. The panel comes with unique xfce-exclusive
> applets like 'Icon Box' which further cleans up the environment and
> saves space.
>
> Distros seem to encourage the use of 2 panels but I prefer to use 1
> panel to save space for the more important things, applications.
>
> I like new, unique/different, clean and pretty things. I do not like
> redundancy, when it comes to something 'visual'.
>
> What I find is that icons of the same application appears too many
> times in a panel.
> I propose this idea mentioned in the subject, and here is the demo of
> how it might turn out.
> http://users.tpg.com.au/adsltimu/task-system-launcher.html (Flash 7+
> required)
>
> For more details you can read my thread at
>
> Do you think such an idea is worth adopting?
> I would like to think so.

That is very creative thinking, at least ;-) Nice mockup demo as well.
However, I'm afraid it will be very hard, if not impossible, to create
something like this.

I'll throw it on the xfce4-dev list, so if someone is looking for a nice
Christmas project, they might try and build a plugin using some of your
ideas. It has some elements of OS X / WindowMaker launchers with one
icon for the launcher and the running application, which is something
people have been interested in in the past.

> Thank you for your time,
> Robin

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

    Jasper