[warning: probably ot] 'Virtual' xinerama support in Xfwm4?

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Fri Dec 22 18:52:12 CET 2006

First, sorry to all for the top-posting in my earlier response.
Force of habit from work where I feel compelled to "conform" to
all the Windows-users.

Harold Aling wrote:
> Don Christensen wrote:
>> Now, if you instead had asked if a single monitor could be presented
>> as two independent virtual monitors, that might be a useful, or at
>> least interesting question.
> That's exactly what I intended to ask, but due to my crappy English my
> question became somewhat 'lost in translation'...
>
> I use 2 monitors and Twinview(=Nvidia's xinerama-alike implementation)
> now, but I don't like the 6 cm space/border in between...

Twinview is, as you say, like Xinerama, so again, emulating it on
a single display is redundant.

> If I could just buy one large monitor and divide that into 2 virtual
> ones, I would have the same setup, but without the annoying border. I
> would also be able to maximize a window per virtual desktop.

Does Twinview allow you to maximize on a per-monitor basis?  It's
been a while since I used Xinerama, and I've never used Twinview.
My understanding is that the window manager is not even aware of
the presence of two monitors, but I could be wrong on that.

Even if that is the case, I wouldn't believe that you could switch
virtual desktops independently on each monitor (real or virtual).
What would happen if you had a window spanning both monitors and
switched the virtual desktop on one of them?

> This would also come in handy if I want to span a single window over the
> 2 virtual desktops, as that would result in one large window, also
> without the 6 cm of border...

Just get a big monitor if it has enough resolution.  Use the "maximize
vertically" function and then enlarge the window horizontally as much
as you need.  If you're using Twinview already, this seems like it
does everything you're currently doing, without the space in between.

Personally, I like the two 20" 1600x1200 LCDs I have, running as
independent displays.  Even if I could find a 3200x1200 or larger
single display (actually, I think IBM made/makes one), it would
be more expensive than the two I have.  But you have to figure out
what's most important to you--raw resolution or physical size.

-Don

> * Maximize per virtual desktop
> * Maximize on all virtual desktops
> * No border
> * Looks better ;)
>
> -H-
>
>> I personally use two monitors but not
>> Xinerama.  I have two virtual desktops that I can independently
>> switch between workspaces on, but I can't drag apps between the
>> two monitors.  This is how I prefer to work, and with a big enough
>> single monitor, it might make some sense to emulate this (but probably
>> not enough to justify the development effort, except maybe for testing).
>>
>> -Don
>>
>> Harold Aling wrote:
>>
>>> Dear developers of everyone's favorite DE,
>>>
>>> Is it already possible to -or- how do you think about a virtual,
>>> xinerama-alike display mode? For example: divide the total available
>>> X-axis space into 2(+) virtual monitors/areas so you can maximize
>>> windows on that 'display', etc... So basically just 'fool' Xfwm4 into
>>> thinking that you have 2 monitors...
>>>
>>> I read something about virtual Xinerama in a display driver[1] but since
>>> I am bound to the NVidia binary driver, that would probably never happen...
>>>
>>> I ask this because I am thinking of buying either 2 17" TFT's or one
>>> large, wide screen TFT.
>>>

>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Harold.
>>>

>>> PS: If you think this is more a Xorg-related question, please let me
>>> know and I'll bother them instead!
>>>
>>> [1] http://intr.overt.org/blog/?p=40

Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems             Austin, TX
   "It was a new day yesterday, but it's an old day now."