Programs crash when changing orientation of xfce4-panel

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Tue Dec 5 12:21:04 CET 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:59:16 +0100, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:10:40 +0100, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
> wrote:

> > Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > just while trying to find a bug in my xfce4-dict-plugin I changed
> > > the orientation of xfce4-panel(from vertical left to horizontal
> > > bottom and reverse) several times and I noticed that Sylpheed and
> > > Geany crashed sometimes.
> > >
> > > I started then Geany in gdb to get some more information and I
> > > got:
> > >
> > > The program 'geany' received an X Window System error.
> > > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > [...]
> > > I'm not sure if this is an X bug, something in xfce4-panel or even
> > > xfwm4. So I post here before spam into bugzilla.
> >

> >   "This probably reflects a bug in the program"
> That isn't what I wanted to hear ;-).
>
> > What could make you think that the bug is in xfce panel or xfwm4 if
> > the applications dies?
> Because it happened on two different applications.
>
> > I believe the message tells you the truth, the bug is in the
> > applications that crashes, or maybe in gtk+.
> Ok, I will do some further investigations tomorrow and post the
> results. Let's hope we are both wrong and it's indeed a bug in GTK.
The good message for finding the bug is: it's reproducible, not always
at the first time, but if you change the orientation more than once,
apps start to crash ;-(.

Attached are two backtraces from geany and sylpheed and while testing
again, my firefox crashed too.

Just tested some more apps: xfburn, xfmedia, xarchiver, galculator.
All crash with the same error. But I found out, they only crash when
they are maximised.

And because of the other apps which also crashed I assume that isn't
really a bug in the apps but rather in GTK or xfwm4. Can anyone confirm?

Just maximise some apps like the above mentioned and right click on the
panel, choose "Customize Panel", change the placement from somewhere
horizontal to somewhere vertical and look at your apps whether they are
crashing.

Regards,
Enrico