Documentation on wiki?

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 13:42:52 CET 2006

I've got no problems with moving the docs to the wiki (you know that,
else I wouldn't suggest this). It's easy to do and probably won't take
longer that a couple of hours.

My idea is to get rid of the docbooks and I have a couple of reasons for this:
- Wiki pages are easier to maintain than docbooks.
- Easy to change the docs between releases (changes are directly visible).
- I think we can assume most people have internet these days, maybe
not all the time tho. But i think they would appreciate some good
(online) docs above outdated local docs.
- You can search the wiki.
- Easy to link docs/faqs/howtos/feature lists inside the wiki
- Multiple people can maintain the docs. We can/should work with
permissions here, so nobody can b0rke the documentation. This might
even motivate people to help us with the docs... although i doubt that
:-(.
- A couple of patches for help buttons (spawn 'exo-open --launch
WebBrowser http://wiki.xfce.org/docs/4.4/...') should do the trick.
- Translators can still do their work.
- Could save some compile problems for some users (not a good point, I
know ^^_).
- We simply don't have a doc team working for us or a (group) of
distros doing that for us (poke zenwalk, xfld and xubuntu ^_^), like
kde and gnome have.

If some developers have problems with removing the docbooks, I'm not
going to put time in this. Three (website/wiki/local) (slightly)
different docs for each project, create by the same group of
developers is just ridiculous. To sync those 3 medium will take too
much time and only makes it harder for users.

So we keep it this way, and every developer is responsible for this
own project documentation (because that's how it works right now), or
we (I will) move all the content to the wiki and we start maintaining
it there.
Every developer/translator/contributor creates a wiki account, give
them edit permission in the /docs/ 'directory' and we keep stuff
up-to-date online.

Cheers,
Nick