HAL based device manager for Xfce

Thomas Schreck thomas.schreck at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 12:51:56 CEST 2006

Hi @all,

yesterday we Johannes and me had a discussion about hal support in Xfce.
We thought it would be that we could provide something like ivman but
with a easier way to configure like gnome etc. does it.

We think ivman is too complex for normal users, that do not have
knowledge in Hal. For example what action should happen when a emtpy cd
will be insert and so on.

We could provide a GUI in which you specify such common actions, like
music cd is insert or empty dvd is insert. The user can select to each
event an action, like start xfmedia or xfburn.

In addition we should also provide an "advance" version, in which it is
also possible to specify more complex things like ivman it is doing.

So far we do not had a deeper look into the technical aspects.

Give us some comments and ideas.

Regards
Johannes / Thomas