Do we release a beta3/rc1 these days ?

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Tue Aug 22 15:26:00 CEST 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 17:52:02 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> > Non-trivial source changes should not be committed after 08/29, so
> > we can do some testing (an rc1 should look somewhat stable) and also
> > rethink certain details of the default setup to get closer to sane
> > defaults for 4.4 (i.e. xfdesktop should display file icons by
> > default if possible, etc.).
>
> While talking about releases: What about i2t, Jannis? Any chance it
> will be ready for rc1 with the above roadmap? If not, what would be
> needed to finish it? Maybe people would volunteer to help
> developing/testing/fixing?

I've been quite inactive during the last two or three weeks. This is
mainly due to friends visiting (as we have semester break at the
moment) and stuff. Anyway, concerning i2t, there are two things missing
right now:

  1. Manual library resolving. It should not be too complicated, but
     I've implemented the manual resolving parts a bit weird, so I need
     to get back on this and re-implement this. Should take about two
     or three hours, perhaps less.

  2. Installation. Currently, there's no way to install i2t into the
     system so all users can use it (which is an important point when
     it comes to the distribution of i2t itself). This has, of course,
     lower priority than 1.

The bad news is that I will only have the time to work on it between
August 28th and 31th. Afterwards, I'll be busy learning for pre-diploma
exams. I'll be back after the 2nd of October. Anyway, I suppose there
will be time to take care about some user requests and improvements
inbetween.

I really hope to be able to work on 1. next week, which would make
it possible to also distribute Xfce through i2t.

Regards,
Jannis