Add categories to "game" menu item

Michael Verret axxium.zenlnx at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 21:39:17 CEST 2006

Kind people,

First some info about me and then my problem. I am part of the Zenwalk
Linux team. One of my tasks is running the gaming site for Zenwalk,
ZenGamer. My problem is that we have over 90 packages there and when a
user installs the games, they all are displayed under the "games" menu
section. This gets very large and "scrolling" kicks in once you have
enough games installed. We do use the
"usr/share/applications/*.desktop" files correctly as in
"Categories=Application;Game;Action;" but no "Action" submenu of
"Games" is displayed.

I would like the XFCE menu to display game submenus as the *.desktop
files dictate. For example, I would like to see the following:

games: Action
------------ Arcade
------------ Board
------------ Card
------------ Children/Education
------------ Emulation
------------ First Person Shooter
------------ Game Engines
------------ Programming Games
------------ Puzzles
------------ Racing
------------ Roguelike
------------ Simulation
------------ Sports
------------ Strategy

Do you know how I can accomplish this? Is there a config file for XFCE
somewhere that sets these options? Or is there certain submenu items
allowed, i.e. Action, Arcade, Child, but no Roguelike. Either way,
none of the submenus ever show up.

You help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Michael Verret (AxXium)