C++ patch or .desktop file for desktop icons

Danny Milosavljevic danny.milo at scratchpost.org
Sat Aug 12 19:49:18 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:38:32 +0200, Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 03:37:25 -0400, Gregoire Gentil wrote:
>
>> Brian (and others),
>>
>> I've experimented a little bit a trash and a Home icon on the desktop.
>> As Brian suggested in a previous exchange yesterday, the .desktop file
>> is much easier to setup rather than a C++ patch that creates a "true"
>> icon. Nevertheless, there is one major drawback of the desktop file:
>> you can't drag and drop a file on one of those icons.
>>
>> If anybody has any idea, that would be interesting. Otherwise, I will
>> probably continue enhancing my initial patch,
>
> Well, first of all I doubt anyone would accept code written in C++.

> And
> I also doubt it makes sense to put much discussion and features into a
> temporary solution, which the desktop launcher icons are supposed to be.

Oh man. The right way now is a temporary solution. What is the world
coming to? :) We'll have to install a hexeditor and memory layout diagram
soon for users to be able to customize the desktop :) (and outright ability
to write a C extension module to add whatever comes next - like support
for saved full text searches or whatever)

I'm sorry, but I'm not getting off my soapbox.

Don't make that mistake.

Don't.

And what about adding drag&drop support for _all_ those desktop icons, if
that's required (seems so)?

cheers,
  Danny