New minimum requirement of GTK+2/GLIB for Xarchiver

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Aug 4 18:09:06 CEST 2006

Jani Monoses wrote:
>> What prevents authors from respecting the system configuration of other people and not asking why they like to stick to the versions their distribution provides?
>
> Out of curiosity are there distributions which (will) provide Xfce 4.4
> but Gtk < 2.8 ?

Actually, for Xfce it is very important to work on systems that do not
include it in their distribution, simply because we have less
distribution support.

Xfce is most/especially/also interesting for people with older systems,
and these systems are likely to run older versions of the operating
system as well. What do debian stable or RHEL ship with?

We tend to be fairly conservative in our dependency, mainly for these
reasons. Probably having more releases would make it easier to update
this dependency more often, but that's another discussion ;-)

	Jasper