New minimum requirement of GTK+2/GLIB for Xarchiver

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 16:15:33 CEST 2006

On 8/4/06, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/4/06, timystery at arcor.de <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:
> > What prevents authors from respecting the system configuration of other people and not asking why they like to stick to the versions their distribution provides?
>
> Asking is not a sin; a guy asked me to remove the GLIB 2.8 dependancy
> and I accomplished his request because I could do that thanks to
> Jean-François Wauthy who provided the code.
>
> By the way:
> What prevents distributors to upgrade to newer version of such
> important APIs as GTK+2 if it is stable?

A few things, first there is time.
Then there might be some things they patched agains gtk+ 2.x, work
they need to redo if they upgrade to another version, and this
requires time.

Dependencies, performance, memory usage. All these things do not
automagicly improve upstream. And, when you look at a binary
distribution like debian. Every package using gtk+ needs to be rebuild
and tested. Debian sarge supplies Gtk+-2.6, and that won't change (for
good reasons), you have testing/unstable for that. But until a new
debian version is released, users of the 'stable' release stick to
version 2.6.

> Giuseppe Torelli
> --
> Colossus