[project-proposal] xfce4ring

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 12:29:58 CEST 2006

On 4/25/06, Benedikt Meurer <benny at xfce.org> wrote:
> Stephan Arts wrote:
> > Currently (xfce 4.0 4.2 and 4.4) uses the xfce-mcs-manager for
> > configuration purposes.
> >
> > Though Xfce 4.4 is still at BETA stage, i would like to start a
> > discussion about the development of a possible successor of
> > xfce-mcs-manager.
> >
> > Thinks i think we should be able to do with it are:
> > (Thanks to ElAngelo)
> >
> > 1. Support MetaThemes
> > 2. Support dnd for theme installation
> > 3. Plugin grouping, ordering plugins by group
> > 4. Allow writing plugins with scripting-languages like python / ruby / perl.
> >
> > 1) - (Complete theme-packages for wm, gtk, icons and perhaps even wallpaper)
> >
> > 2) - ( ~/.themes is too complicated for most new users)
> >
> > 3) - (this way we can make the GUI less cluttered.)
> >
> > 4) - (This probably means we cannot use gmodule for it anymore)
> >
> > I would like to know what your ideas are about this.
>
> There was discussion about this earlier and there is a prototype,
> xprefs. The GUI stuff is more or less trivial. What's way more important
> is to decouple the user interface from the settings storage.

I agree

> I wanted to wait for D-Conf tho. Anyway this is a post 4.4 item and from
> my experience, this should not be discussed now, there are more
> important things to address first.

Indeed this is a post 4.4 issue, but because this will potentially
become a big change i do not think we should not talk about it.

- What do users expect from it?
- What do developers require?
- What is important, and what is not?

That way, when xfce 4.5 comes on the horizon, it is easy to specify a
requirements-list.
(Because insane requests have already been filtered out, and other
things pop-up that we otherwise miss)

> Benedikt

Stephan