HowTo install Xfce into home directory

Peeter Vois peeter.vois at proekspert.ee
Mon Apr 24 09:13:17 CEST 2006

Hi,

I was trying to install Xfce into home directory in order to check
quality of translation and not to disturb others who are using Xfce 4.2.
I used the oscillation binary package. It was proposing me nicely to
install Xfce into /home/myname/local. The installation was successful,
though it was needed to modify the ~/.Xclients file to execute the
/home/myname/local/bin/startxfce4 script. I also modified the PATH
system variable.

New Xfce started succesfully. But looks like it does not search themes
and icons from subdirectories of /home/myname/local but still looks at
/usr subdirectories. For example thunar is not able to show folder
icons, configuration-manager is not able to show icons for some new
configuration items and so on. Also there were problems with adding
items into panel, the panel got idle and no menu with items appeared.

I have found no HowTo on Xfce wiki or related pages.

Best Regards,
Peeter Vois