Xfce 4.4 beta1 released

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 04:59:01 CEST 2006

> Aaron wrote:
>
> > i believe those are two common problems.
> >
> > first, the plugins, dont build with the new panel. theyre being
> > rewritten right now to fix that, but you should be able to get the new
> > working plugins shortly, if you just asked about this, it could ahve
> > saved you alot of time.
>
> Correct.
>
> > second, i belive xfdesktop needs thunar to build, for some library
> > issues. this is a bit annoying, but also solvable, just build thunar,
> > then xfdesktop, then rebuild thunar again later.
>
> Incorrect.  Thunar-vfs is only required if you want the file/launcher
> desktop icons.  If it's not building correctly without thunar-vfs,
> please file a bug.

except the default is to build with thunar-vfs. this leads to some
funky circular dependencies, and is kinda odd, but solvable by
building thunar then xfdesktop, then rebuilding thunar. its been noted
several times, but very easily solvable no one thought to file a bug
report. if i catch it again, ill try to file one though.

> > also if the problem is simple, feel free to drop into #xfce on
> > freenode, most of the time they can help you with quick questions, or
> > ever bigger problems. saves you alot of time and grief.
>
> Assuming you don't run into the annoying people who make idling in #xfce
> painful.

:-P

> > and also, the thing with desktops, is the xfce team is great, but they
> > dont have thousands of people checking their code to make sure
> > everything works 100% of the time, unlike the kernel people. if we had
> > that many devs, there wouldnt be any errors in xfce, and it would be
> > perfecter than it already is.
>
> Thanks for the praise and understanding.  We do this in our spare time,
> folks.  Many of us can barely spend a couple hours on Xfce per week.
> Some of us even occasionally sacrifice sleep to spend more time on Xfce.
>  There just aren't enough hours in the day...
>
>         -brian

Aaron Fineman