question to xfce4 4.4 release

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Apr 19 17:00:59 CEST 2006

Erik Harrison wrote:

>>>maybe not google summer of code material... but maybe good for a new team
>>>member? after all, rewriting it will be all about cleanups and good understanding.
>
> At that point you're not so much taking over maintainership of
> Mousepad as taking the name
>
> And we're not anti python so much as few of us are python programmers.
> PyXfce (in the Beta) provides bindings to the Xfce libraries, and
> Thunar extensions can be written in Python

You cannot currently write Thunar extensions in Python, because PyGTK
doesn't work with local binding. I'll have to look for a solution, but I
haven't had the time to do so.

Benedikt

BTW: I don't think it's a very good idea to rewrite Mousepad in Python.
Currently, Mousepad appears instantly, which is what I expect from a
default editor. If you are looking for a slow default editor, use gedit. ;-)