question to xfce4 4.4 release

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 06:16:39 CEST 2006

On 4/18/06, Biju Chacko <botsie at xfce.org> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
> > And we're not anti python so much as few of us are python programmers.
> > PyXfce (in the Beta) provides bindings to the Xfce libraries, and
> > Thunar extensions can be written in Python
>
> I am not sure that a python based app really fits in with the philosophy
> of the DE. Python imposes it's own overheads after all.

I'd take it a step further and say that I _am_ sure that it doesn't fit in.

But that don't mean I'm gonna tell someone to not write a text editor
in Python. As far as Xfce is concerned, Mousepad is a third party app
- it isn't part of the desktop in any official fashion. It's a fork of
a spaghetti code Notepad clone because a hobbiest programmer needing
some damn printing support and he needed it -now-.

Which, when I think about it, is actually pretty cool

> That said, I am currently writing a largish app in python and pygtk. If
> it ever gets to a releaseable state, I might not be putting it into Xfce
> because it doesn't really seem to fit.
>
> -- b

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."