XArchiver on-disk read-cache.

Stephan Arts psybsd at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 14:30:06 CEST 2006

I am concidering an on-disk output-cache for xarchiver, i would like to know
what your ideas are about this.

This is the reason i might implement it:
- currently xarchiver loads all data it can show on screen in memory. For an
archive containing 60k files this can make memory usage grow with 60MB.
- archivers like rar take ages to perform any operation on them. reading
lines from a plain-text file is done in no-time.
- by only reading the lines in memory that are actually visible on screen i
can reduce memory usage, and to the user it looks like opening the archive
goes faster.

it will make scrolling in the archive a bit slower, because we need to
access the cache file for it.
but again, reading lines from a text-file is pretty fast.

What are your ideas about this?

Stephan