Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:27:24 CEST 2006

On 4/10/06, Stefan Stuhr <xfce4devlist at sstuhr.dk> wrote:
> man, 10 04 2006 kl. 13:01 +0200, skrev Stephan:
> > why is everyone sending in screenshots?
>
> Because my configuration should be the default. That way, I won't need
> to change the configuration at all.
>
> Besides, I like my configuration, why wouldn't others?
>
> ;o)

well, if enough people send in their default configuration, youll
start to see trends, and then can figure out some of the basic
features many xfce users will have.

> Really, I would like the default configuration to be similar to the one
> in Xfce 4.2, with some improvements, like a showdesktop item somewhere.
> Don't make it look too much like GNOME or KDE; Xfce needs, and already
> have, a unique identity. It would IMHO be a bad idea to change that.
>
> Xfce isn't GNOME; don't pretend that it is GNOME Light (though it can be
> configured in GNOME like ways). Give people other reasons than old
> hardware to try out Xfce.
>
> BTW, I really like the CDE style launcher submenus. Keep using them in
> the default configuration.
>
> > Stephan

defiantly, 4.2 had a very goo default setup, and thats what everyone
thinks when we say xfce 4.x. maybe some radical changes to 5.x, but
4.x should stay familiar. although maybe if you could provide preset
configurations like in kde, one to look like kde, one for gnome, one
for osx, one for windows, but default to xfce-4.4. how easy would that
be to do before the release?