Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

Aaron aaronf0 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 19:54:29 CEST 2006

On 4/9/06, Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> Ori Bernstein wrote:
> > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:37:06 -0400, Aaron <aaronf0 at gmail.com> said:
> >
> >> i think if we keep this up, theres not going to be much on the panel.
> >
> > And that's a bad thing?
> >
> > There's a reason the "add launcher" button exists, you know.
>
> hehe
>
> okay lets sprinkle some oil on the fire, here is what I have:
>
> one panel only:
>
> terminal launcher
> file manager launcher
> task list
> show desktop button
> lock button
> pager
> volume plugin
> systray plugin (with orage running in it by default!)
> clock
>
> if you remove the task list it looks very empty - so I keep it in there (it
> looks okay on 1024x and 1400x). A lot of panel space is of course taken up by
> the tasklist and pager, but those are really the foundation of desktop
> management. Having orage and clock next to each other makes a lot of sense,
> but I could live without orage running by default, but not without the system
> tray.
>
> all in all this is not that far from the current default, which makes it
> really easy to setup from a default install too - which is why I usually keep
> it like this.
>
> and no - no browser or other "custom" app launchers - even xfprint. I really
> don't see a place for them in the default - printing is so old-fashioned ;^)
>

> Auke

i would still add a few launchers on there for commonly used things,
which worked quite well in the 4.2 panel. mainly a web browser,
multimedia application, and word processor.

although i just though of a good idea. link the help system into the
panel, if an item isnt found, in the error box, give a help button,
and have it open up the documentation with a sugestion of what to do,
change the link, install the application, or delete the button. that
way new users will be able to find the programs they need quicker, and
more advanced users can figure out how to mod their setup quicker.
although this needs someone to write the documentation for it. i'll
volunteer to do most of it, but i don't use the panel often, so
someone else will need to take over.