Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Wed Apr 5 14:14:20 CEST 2006

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:09:16 +0200 (CEST)
timystery at arcor.de wrote:

> Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> > > I disagree at this point. Terminals have a high importance on any
> > > Linux or Unix machines. And even though these platforms become
> > > more and more popular, most users make heavy use of terminal
> > > emulators - with the exception of my girlfriend perhaps.
> >
> > I'd say that these users are able to add a separate launcher. ;-)
> >
> > The question seems to be: How many of the existing/new Xfce users
> > use/will use a terminal?
>
> You're right, experienced users customize anyway, and unexperienced
> like most of our girlfriends do not even know what a terminal or a
> terminal emulator is.

As you and Benedikt said: It's time to think about the mysterious
"target user". Now the question is how many girlfriends (just to
continue the example) are going to use Xfce compared to the number of
experienced users who are going to use it. The answer
should be clear. Especially, because most unexperienced users like
my probably-future-mother-in-law will probably just use what they get
with the system - which is Gnome or KDE most times.

This is the first point: We can expect most users to have at least a
basic knowledge about the platforms Xfce supports.

The second one is: Even less experienced users will need the terminal
from time to time - this is essential on the platforms we're talking
about, be it to compile software, to run "top", to kill a process or
whatever.

My conclusion is that if we put a terminal launcher into the panel,
it'll probably stay there (probably not at the same position as
nearly everyone needs some customization to feel at home) and this is
why I think we should do it.

- Jannis