Aw: Re: Default settings for 4.4

timystery at arcor.de timystery at arcor.de
Tue Apr 4 17:09:16 CEST 2006

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

> >>The default should be in submenu, IMHO, as most people won't need
> >>Terminal very often.
> >
> > I disagree at this point. Terminals have a high importance on any Linux
> > or Unix machines. And even though these platforms become more and more
> > popular, most users make heavy use of terminal emulators - with the
> > exception of my girlfriend perhaps.
>
> I'd say that these users are able to add a separate launcher. ;-)
>
> The question seems to be: How many of the existing/new Xfce users
> use/will use a terminal?

You're right, experienced users customize anyway, and unexperienced like most of our girlfriends do not even know what a terminal or a terminal emulator is.

But unexperienced users do like menus, as far as i could observe and I doubt many of them will right-click onto the desktop.

Perhaps this is the point to think about what kinds of users are expected to use Xfce 4.4 and how they might use it; what kinds of users are disliked and therefore do not need to be considered (e.g. the " I need graphical miracles" ones). Then it should be much easier to find out, which layout is best.

> > - Jannis
>
> Benedikt

Fabian