Default settings for 4.4

Dale fastfoo at fastmail.fm
Tue Apr 4 11:07:32 CEST 2006

My suggested amendments to Benedikt's proposal. Note: I have not used
XFCE beyond 4.2.3.2, so am not familiar with changes to the launcher
layout, if any.

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> I'd suggest for the bottom panel:
>
> 1st) Launcher
>    - Homedir
>    - Terminal

I'd vote for a separate launcher for the Terminal, as I use it more than
any other app, though, I suppose, the average, non-techie wont.

> 2nd) Launcher
>    - WebBrowser
>    - MailReader

2nd) WebBrowser
3rd) MailReader

These functions are used my almost everyone I'd imagine, so they should
both be available with a single click.

> 3rd) Launcher
>    - MediaPlayer (I'd suggest Xfmedia as default)
> 4th) Separator
>
> 5th) Pager
>
> 6th) Separator
>
> 7th) Launcher
>    - Settings Manager

      - Printer Management?

... unless printer management is now included (as it ought to be) within
the Settings Manager?

> 8th) Quit Button
>
> 9th) Separator
>
> 10th) Mixer

Perhaps the Mixer should be next to the MediaPlayer instead?

> 11th) Clock
>
> The 1st and 2nd items can be done via exo-open to use the users
> preferred apps (i.e. Homedir = exo-open $HOME, etc.).

Absolutely! ie. for HomeDir, WebBrowser, MailReader

> For the MediaPlayer, I think it's ok to default to Xfmedia now (IIRC we
> had xmms there for the last releases).

I second that ;)

--
Dale