xfdesktop has minimised app icons now!

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 9 23:05:38 CEST 2005

On 9/9/2005 8:18 AM, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone schreef:
>
>>Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I took a stab at implementing CDEish minimised app icons on the
>>>desktop.
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>Yo...  I did a huge amount of hacking on it tonight, and I consider it
>>functionally-complete.  That is, it should handle all the stuff you'd
>>expect it to handle - window creation/destruction, workspace
>>creation/destruction, moving windows between workspaces, etc.
>>
> Yo, dude, that's pretty cool stuff ;-)
>

>>The features that are missing are:
>>
>>* handling screen size changes (via xrandr)
>>* handling gtk theme/font changes
>>* handling windows that change their title while minimised
>>* tooltips for full names
>>* DnD to move the icons around
>>* runtime option to turn them off
>>* not placing icons where there are struts (not sure how to do this)
>

> _NET_WORKAREA

Excellent.
/me reads WM spec
Ok, (x, y, width, height), one per workspace.  Got it.

>>So, functionality-wise, feel free to file "real" bugs, because I expect
>>it to work properly now.  Also feel free to suggest other features,
>>though I of course reserve the right to not implement them.
>>

> * layout preference:
>    - topleft, vertical
>    - topright, vertical
>    - topleft, horizontal
>    - bottomleft, horizontal
>
> Not sure about other directions. Maybe locale-dependend ;-)

I can understand a vertical vs. horizontal layout pref, but I don't
think it makes sense to support the others, with one exception: if the
locale is set to a rtl language, then do the layout from the top right
instead of top left.  But that's not really a pref; it'll just Do The
Right Thing.

> * size? they're pretty big now... Maybe that's a good thing, though.

Yeah, right now it does 48x48 icons for screens with a width of >1024
pixels, and... I think 24x24 for 1024 and below.  That could certainly
use some tweaking, and maybe more sizes, but fortunately that's trivial
to change.

> * animations? nah, just kidding ;-)

Hah, right.  Seriously though, I'll probably implement some kind of
flashing for URGENT windows.

> Seems to work well. A lot better than yesterday :-)

Good to hear ^_^.

	-brian