wewa xfce's web suite project

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Sep 8 11:35:49 CEST 2005

Nicolas Masse wrote:
>> I'm not a developer (although, if the code is any good, and the
>> stuff shows promise I'll contribute), but it seems to me that
>> somethnig like libthunar-vfs would be very useful for deciding what
>> apps to open downloaded/email-attached mimetypes with, libxfce4util
>> for the XfceRc stuff, and then the xfce_exec() functions and some
>> dialog stuff.
>
> For libthunar, i'm not sure since it does certainly more than just
> managing mimetypes. Also I had a look at the thunar wiki, it show
> this:
>
> "The MIME System should be designed independent of the other
> components of Thunar, to make it easy to move it to libexo or
> libxfce4util later on, so other Xfce applications can use it (for
> example, the panel might want to use it)."
>
> So the best is perhaps to wait the mime-type-system to be implemented
> and/or ask benny for that.

The MIME implementation as it stands now is pretty much what you need
(except that the legacy magic detection is still missing, but that will
be fixed soon). I don't think that it'll be moved to libexo or
libxfce4util within the next year, but a dependency on Thunar-VFS
shouldn't be a problem for any serious application.

Benedikt