Xfce SVN moving - progress and planning - update

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Thu Oct 27 23:45:36 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

>Let's move this to xfce4-dev...

okay people apologies for not giving out more information earlier -
things get in between my schedule all the time and my concentration is
lacking heavily lately - and I don't want to do any stupid things ;^)

The Xfce server move is mostly complete. There are lots of changes
including DNS and all, so please read carefully:

www.xfce.org, xfce.org, svn.xfce.org all point to mocha's IP

mocha's FQDN is mocha.foo-projects.org. This is used for mail delivery
FROM mocha to the rest of the world.

There are NO mailboxes on mocha. Mocha delivers ALL mail to espresso.
For this reason you still retain your espresso ssh account if you had
one, and others still retain the forwarding alias they had. Please note
that you should still use 'espresso.foo-projects.org' for mail delivery
and pickup (pop-b4-smtp enabled).

the SVN repository has 4 access methods currently:

1) anonymous via websvn at http://svn.xfce.org/
2) anonymous via http+dav at http://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/
3) authenticated via https+dav at https://svn.xfce.org/svn/xfce/
4) authenticated via svn+ssh at svn+ssh://svn.xfce.org/var/svn/xfce/

in order to use https+dav, you need to use your https login info. Every
developer and translator should have received something by mail. This
message contained an URL which did not work earlier due to my mistake.
If you want to edit your password please go here:
https://svn.xfce.org/cgi-bin/user_manage .

Only a few people have received an SSH account up to now. There is a
preference from my side for developers to use the https+dav method since
it reduces the amount of people that I need to give ssh accounts to,
however, senior developers can request an ssh account at any time, and
get svn+ssh access to the repository. Just ask. General guideline: if
you had an ssh account before on espresso, you can get one now as well.
Website maintainers always get an ssh account.

A quirk about apache: http://xfce.org/ is not a round-robin dns entry,
but points to mocha. This however redirects you to http://www.xfce.org/
which *is* a round-robin dns entry, and currently serves on 3 different
servers. This will reduce latency and keep the main Xfce site responsive
for everyone. It also means that you cannot ssh to www.xfce.org.
However, you *can* ssh to xfce.org (if you have an ssh account).

If you want to be sure that you connect to the right server however,
please always use mocha.foo-projects.org...

There is still mroe work to do - I haven't setup any server and website
stats pages yet and undoubtably there are tons of tiny little things to
do still. I would appreciate it that you report anything unusual to me.

Auke