Is panel plugins integration broken at the moment?

Carol Spears carol at gimp.org
Fri Oct 21 07:45:36 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:50:34AM +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:
> Carol Spears wrote:
> > i started to wonder where such a directory came from to begin with.  i
> > am used to developers who seem to mix the ideas of easy and efficient
> > and get a really good product from that mix.  so, what reason would this
> > new directory appear in /usr/local?  seeing the xfsm-shutdown-helper and
> > having recently enjoyed the beauty and mystery of rsync -- i answered my
> > own question about where this new $PREFIX originated from and decided it
> > was for samba to be able to have its own weird little place on a
> > computer that is running between two operating systems -- or however
> > that works.  sometimes i answer my questions wrongly.  i know this.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand your confusion, but:
>
> $prefix is shorthand for your install root. It is something you can
> choose at install time. Typically, source packages install under
> /usr/local by default. However, you can choose to have them install
> elsewhere. I install my xfce4 svn under /opt/xfce4, for example. Many
> distros put their own packages under /usr.
>
> Since there are multiple possible locations for your install root,
> developers generally talk about $prefix as a shorthand for all possible
> locations.
>
> In your case, when you ran ./configure you did not specify a prefix so
> it would have installed into /usr/local be default.
>
> This doc may help you:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
>
> hope this clarifies things,

well, i know about prefix -- enough to know that it defaults into
/usr/local.  recently i got a huge lesson in things that libtool does
not do, but no good explanation of why (different mail list).

this thread has reminded me of options i have read in ./configure --help
for years and years and never needed to know.

i actually have learned enough from this list to be able to fine tune an
environment script for xfce building.  when i forget this stuff it is
because i have been using this script for so many years:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv and i also reworked this:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/stable-cvs-build.html (heavily
reworked this, btw)

it has been nice that this list has been informative about things.  it
is still interesting to me that of all the software i have built on my
own, xfce4 is the only one that has installed things in
/usr/local/libexec .  i would even go so far as to say it is because i
am picky, except for the fact that i built mplayer.

i just looked quickly at the url you shared.  it isn't going to answer
my question, is it?

i would rather not have to add things to ld.conf to get one group of
things to build correctly -- easy enough to fix via configure options
though.

libtool issues left much bigger questions and my respect for autotools
went way down when i tried to do the right thing about my problems
there:
http://carol.gimp.org/blog/gtk/cvs/gtkdochack.html

thanks for your patience,
carol