Panel on SVN does not seem to be working with multihead 100%

Foxy foxy at on-the-hill.me.uk
Thu Oct 20 23:40:51 CEST 2005

Joao Pedrosa wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new around here and I'm new on using XFce, but I like what I see,
> both in the community and in the current state of XFce.
>
> I've been using Ubuntu for over a year, and since then, GNOME has been
> my main desktop, but I like the proposed lightweightness of XFce,
> which could come in handy.
>
> For two days I've been messing around with XFce from SVN and now I've
> learned a little bit about it already. I've even created a little
> script to install it on Ubuntu, and I'm sharing it with you, but
> please use it to learn from it only, don't try to use it in a
> production machine. :-)
>
> Now about my problem. :-)
>
> The new panel is great and seems good enough for me to use it already.
> But on my main machine I have two monitors that I use in dual-head.
> I've been using dual-head for as long as I have used Ubuntu. The only
> big issue with XFce for me is that the new panel does not reappear on
> the right screen when the session is restarted, even though it behaves
> as if it was in the right screen.
>
> I know the code is still evolving. I can wait for the final version.
> So take this as an incentive to think about the multihead issue of the
> new  panel. :-)
>
> Great job guys.
>
> Cheers,
> Joao Pedrosa

Hi Joao, i cannot help you with your problem, sorry. Bu I have a
question about your script. I wonder if it is possible to use
checkinstall instead of 'make install'. I run Ubuntu as well and I would
like to be able to remove svn build as soon as 4.4 is out. I guess it
would be easier if it is built with checkinstall, then I will just use
apt-get or Synaptic.

There are a number of xfce-svn scripts are around but they all obviously
use 'make install'. The problem with checkinstall is that it is sort of
picky. It does not like spaces before version number and other things.
You may try to replace 'make install' in your script and will see that
building of deb packages fails in most of the cases. It is something to
do with spec file I guess. Though it is not a case when you download
snapshot tarballs and checkinstall them. I wonder if you may have some
ideas about it?