Customize Panels dialog (Was: Re: panel item remove confirmation)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Oct 20 17:08:49 CEST 2005

Ori Bernstein schreef:
> On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:15:00 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org> said:
>

>>Alright, what do you think about these screenshots:
>>
>>http://xfce.loculus.nl/files/customize-panel-1.png
>

> Hm, it would probably be nice to have an "add" button on this dialog, since DND
> is good, but a bit on the undiscoverable side. I can easily imagine a user
> sitting there and scratching their head, thinking "where's the button to add
> this"?

Hmm. You mean I need a bigger 'info' icon to draw attention to the text?
;-)

Anyway, the button isn't there partly because I want to 'force' the user
to discover DND, since in this interface it is the only way to add,
remove or move items. IMO we either have alternative methods for all
three actions, or for none of them.

>>http://xfce.loculus.nl/files/customize-panel-2.png
>>
>>The second tab looks cluttered, so I'm open for suggestions. The first
>>tab still has a treeview, but could easily be changed to something more
>>like the firefox dialog, with icons in a grid.
>

> I don't think the "select panel" bit is really needed, although I'm not sure
> what you'd do for "new/delete". an interesting idea would be having a "panel"
> type panel item, which you'd drag out of the "panel items" box.

There's no way to delete a panel then either. Also, it would be strange
to have one notebook tab act on all panels (add/remove items) and one
tab only for one specific panel.

> That might get a bit weird, though.
>
> I'm also not so sure that the "handle style" is a useful option. And again, it
> might make a good candidate as a plugin for the panel, similar to a separator

Floating panels have a handle, and a handle style. Fixed position panels
have no handles (they can't be moved ;-).

Thanks,
	Jasper