Problem with BMPx

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Oct 19 22:05:31 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 22:01 +0200, milosz derezynski wrote:
> And also, while this is true in the example app (i just didn't look
> close enough), you (all, to say it directly)
> are missing the point: It's true that it MIGHT be that setting the
> values like this, but XFWMs behaviour in this
> case shouldn't be that it shrinks the window. Ever heard of the term
> "failing gracefully"? It's not our app that shrinks,
> it's XFWM4 that keeps pushing events at it and forces it to shrink.
>
> IMO it should rather try to resize the window to it's minimal width.
> This works on other WMs, so why not on XFMW4? Why does
> XFWM4 shrink the window so badly instead of just clamping it up or
> down to the size

Do an xprop on your window:

WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                program specified minimum size: 38 by -130
                program specified maximum size: 65298 by 65289
                program specified resize increment: 25 by 29
                program specified base size: 38 by -130
                window gravity: NorthWest

See the "-130" as base size and min size ? It's now xfwm4 that sets
that.