panel item remove confirmation

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Tue Oct 18 17:58:15 CEST 2005

> I'm mentally debating whether or not I think  it's worth getting rid of
> two menu items (New Panel and Remove [panel]) at the expense of making
> Manage Panel Items more complicated (which I think is a nice cool simple
> UI).  Now, Manage Panel Items can also handle removal of items, but it's
> not quite intuitive.  I know someone already didn't realised that the
> panel items were draggable and had no idea how to rearrange them.  I'm
> sure there are some people who still don't know that you can drag panel
> items back to the dialog to remove them, and the reverse for adding them.
>
> Although... why not take the Firefox toolbar editor model all the way?
>
> 1.  Change "Manage Panel Items" to "Customize..."

have the properties dialog go with the configure dialog, too?

> 2.  Add text "You can add or remove items by dragging to or from the
> panels" to the top of the panel item dialog (it already says something
> similar to this).
no question, this is really needed. i didn't know it was already
implemented.

> 3.  Ditch the list idea.  Make each item in the dialog an icon with just
> its name under it.  The description can go in a tooltip.

the description is really not very nice in the item, as longer
descriptions and translations into "longer" languages like German tend
to blow the manager dialog.

> 4.  Each icon should be a screenshot of the actual plugin while it's in
> the panel, not some generic icon used to represent it.

at least the icon should really be an icon, i.e. standing for the
content behind and making the function clear. no xfce mice, not the same
symbol for pager and tasklist.

> 5.  Change the mouse cursor to the grippy hand thing.
>
> Now, this "fixes" the problem of the Remove (plugin) menu item: you
> don't need it anymore, and hopefully people won't be asking "yearrrrgh!
>  how do I remove panel items!?!?!".  Now we just have a single "Remove
> Panel" menu item (or just "Remove", under the "Panel" section, whichever
> is preferred).

perhaps a "help" button in the menu with a simple dialog shortly
explaining the use of the panel and its items would help make new
panel4.3/4.4 users feel comfortable with the new panel very quickly.

this would result in a new menu:

<grayish>Plugin</grayish>
Properties
-------------------
<grayish>Panel</grayish>
Customize...
Properties        <!-- if still needed --/>
Remove
Add new panel
--------------------
Help

the distinction between a plugin and a panel part of the menu will be
needed as long as plugins can add their own menu entries.
disallowing new menu entries could, if merging add/remove panel with the
configure dialog, result in a very simple menu

Plugin properties
Customize panel
Help for the panel

of course, the configure dialog wouldn't be as simple as the two
currently used, but it would be an all-in-one solution which is surely
very convenient for new users and those behaving too hasty ;-)